Sunday, January 10, 2021

My Week of Go Activities




I spent a whopping 37 hours on go activities last week. That is nearly twice my usual amount of time. I attribute that to the new YD season beginning, but also to the fact that I have been spending time watching the Clossius live stream on Twitch.



I created a new category this week. Clossius (Shawn Ray) now has his own category for his live stream. Anything of his that I watch which is not streamed live will fall under the category of Twitch and YouTube. I believe that he is streaming four days a week on a regular basis now starting at 2 pm Eastern Time. He has subscriber reviews and lessons most days, but he does still have one day a week where he does open reviews, meaning that anyone can sign up for the queue to get a review. I managed to get a review of one of my games on Thursday during the subscriber review time. I am a Patron of his on Patreon. You too can become a patron for $4.99 a month to get access to Patron only content as well as the right to join the subscriber queue. Check out the other patron tiers while you are there. He has a variety of game review and lesson tiers.  He has recently met a significant goal on Patreon and is planning a 24 hour stream next weekend or the weekend after.



I managed to meet my goal of eight games this week. I started playing late in the week. I procrastinated until Wednesday to play my first game. I then had to play two games a day after that ending up needing to play three games on Saturday to meet my quota.

Five and a half hours were spent on Live Play this week. Two and a half of those hours were spent on the two games I played for AYD and EYD. OGS games were fast because those were the offers available, and I did not feel like sitting forever and waiting for a longer challenge to be accepted.

I played half of my games on OGS this week and the other half on KGS, but I am uploading all of my games to AI-Sensei. I have also been uploading my KGS games to sgf storage on OGS because Clossius uses an OGS link to review on the OGS platform, and I intend to submit some of my KGS games for review.

Below I provide the links for all of the games using OGS, even those played on KGS. Be aware that KGS games uploaded to OGS do not always look properly scored when they load. Rest assured, however, that I did make sure they got scored correctly when they were played. I believe that you can view these games with full AI review because I am a supporter of OGS.

My user names are buzzsaw, goddess, and fearless.

Here are the games for the week of 1/3/2021 to 1/9/2021:

Win   1/6      OGS     buzzsaw-jacomus    W+R

Loss   1/7     OGS     buzzsaw-Go777-2    B+R

Win     1/7    OGS     buzzsaw-surtur        W+R

Loss    1/8    KGS    Ddoox-goddess      W+23.5  (EYD Game)

Loss    1/8    KGS    akiva-buzzsaw        W+32.5  (AYD Game)

Loss    1/9    KGS    buzzsaw-gull          B+3.5

Win     1/9    OGS    buzzsaw-damingmao   W+16.5

Win     1/9    KGS    fearless-modish        W+18.5

The last game listed was interesting because I jumped in to do an invasion that was perhaps a bit of an overplay. I probably should have been punished, but I managed to live. After getting out I saved a tail, but AI-Sensei suggested that I should have taken a big move on the board instead.



My invasion was at L16. My first instinct was j17, the move that AI is suggesting. I knew it instinctively, but stepped back to L16 instead, which I suppose got me into trouble.

By the way I am 6k on KGS and 12k on OGS but that may deserve its own blog post.

Win or lose I am not particularly proud of the games I played on OGS. I feel as if the games I encounter there are largely based on street fighting, and that they are not particularly civilized. I guess I need to get used to that. I ought to be able to punish improper play.

I prefer a peaceful game, but I’ve been told by In-seong to actually turn off the part of my go CPU that sees my own weaknesses and to strike at the weaknesses of my opponent instead. So maybe civilized games are not what I need right now. Time to get out into the playground to get roughed up and to rough up a few opponents while I am at it.

No comments: