Saturday, July 04, 2020

Painful Realization That I Could Have Reversed A Close Game

I have used this blog as a means of memorializing some of the things I have done right. Today I am going to memorialize something that I missed. My opponent must have missed it too, or she would not have made a move I could have punished severely.

We are both taking group lessons with Hwang In-seong, and are in the same league. We have moved up and down together through the leagues in the past three months.

Here is the end position of our game from Thursday night.



I am White. Black won this game by 6.5

It was a close game I would like to have won, but I was happy for Black. We have had a bit of a rivalry going on for a few months. Although I believe that she is a stronger player than I, up to this point I had won all three of our games in the league. It was something I knew I could not maintain, but it was hanging in the air, and it was nice to have the tension over,

In-seong had many interesting points to make about our game, but the first thing he showed us blew both of our minds. White could have easily reversed this game.


It turned out that 31 is a mistake. 

It turns out that my response at “a” is an even bigger mistake.

The throw in works! YES! The throw in works!

White throws in. Black takes. White gives Atari. When black connects there is damezumari (shortage of liberties) and white takes 12 stones. That is more than enough to reverse the game. It is easy enough to read. When you are told about it you see it right away. Neither of us imagined that the throw in worked with that one liberty left. Now we know.

One other thing. I had been looking at the throw in for a while, but I was also concerned about my own weakness, which is what I do. If I had been more focused on my opponent’s weakness I may have seen it. 

Now, your assignment is to share in my shame, and observe every painful move of what could have been. I want this seared in my memory.







That’s all folks.
Another painful moment coming soon.
I will tell the story of how I forgot I was playing ko.






No comments: