Tuesday, July 07, 2020

Love a Nice Resignation

My next blog post was supposed to be about the shame of forgetting that I was playing ko. However, I got a really nice resignation today, so I am going to celebrate that here.

This is the final board position. I’ve got to admire someone who knows when to move on to the next game. Though I, myself, have been known to struggle.


I have killed the large white group in the lower right. Let’s see how this started.



It started with a peep. I was not sure I could get that group, but I was going to go after it. I figured that the move was at least sente, and once it was answered, the stone at p6 would be light.


After another peep at n8, and a few exchanges in the o13 area, I enclosed the group with a move at o10. It still wasn’t  a sure thing, and did have potential to connect to the center stones, but the attack was looking better.


A couple of moves later I played at n10 to avoid a cut. I was getting more hopeful. It would prove to be fun if nothing else.


A few exchanges later and the group was completely cut off. Now it was a matter of seeing whether White could live. I believed I could make the eye at the top of the group false with a play at p9 if I got to play there first.


White tried to increase eye space with the hane at r1. The throw in at s1 felt right, and so that is how I responded.


White followed with s4, after which I did hane at t4. White’s cut at s7, followed by my Atari at s8, brought us to the end of the game.


If you have read this far, thank you. The full game can be found on OGS here if anyone is interested in seeing how things began.


No comments: