Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Studying With Go World

The three back issues I had ordered of Go World arrived.

Last night and this morning I replayed the first three games in Go World issue 111, which were the games of the 3rd Toyota & Denso Cup: Cho U vs. Yi Se-tol. I played them on my hiba board with my slate and shell stones in front of the Christmas tree. It was a pleasant experience, but I don't think I got the most out of it. Although I read the commentary, I didn't actually play out the variations, but just looked at the variation figures. I think I need to get some single convex yunzi stones for reading through my Go World collection. After carefully placing the stones of the main line on the board I was afraid to add the variation stones for fear that I would get confused and be unable to get back to the main line. If I had single convex yunzis I wouldn't have to worry about this, and could just pick up the inverted stones of the variation without even having to think about it.

One thing I noticed is that it is taking me less and less time to find the next moves in the main line diagrams. I'm not sure why, but I figure it has to be a good sign. I am also not sure what I got out of replaying the games, but I figure it couldn't have hurt.

1 comment:

You Haven't Heard of Him said...

When going over variations, can't you just remove the stones that have numbers on them in the variation, like in other Go games? In my books, the stones that are placed have numbers on them...when I want to go back I simply remove them in reverse order. I've not seen Go World, but I assume it's the same, isn't it?

Cool blog, I will definitely be reading more later. Come by my blog if you get a chance at usgoplayer.blogspot.com.