Sunday, March 03, 2024

Let's Go Baduk School - My Husband Tries Go


For forty-two years I have been trying to get my husband to learn how to play go.  I started off when we first met. I tried to teach him on a 19x19 board with nine stones of handicap because I knew no other way at the time.  That didn't go well.  He's told me that he isn't wired to play go.  I've tried over and over again to get him to play with no success.

Recently I think I have convinced him that he and I could have more quality time together if he would become a part of my world and embrace the go community with me.  I am actually hoping that I can eventually get him to join the BenKyo League.

But how do I get him interested?

Recently I found an iPad app designed to teach children how to play go.  I have convinced my husband to watch one chapter at a time and to play through the problems at the end of each chapter.  Today we completed Chapter One of the Korean Academy's App called Let's Go Baduk School.

Here is my husband answering questions.




Here is his reward for completing Chapter One.





Completing Chapter One wasn't too painful for him. He actually wants to repeat Chapter One another time before moving on to Chapter Two.  This shows me that he really wants to learn the material.

I am also working through the chapters of the program. There are quite a few of them and I am about halfway done. The first chapter that offered any challenge at all was the chapter on Mutual Life.  I did get a couple of them wrong the first time. Here are the 24 Chapters I need to complete.





You can search for this program on the Apple IOS App Store. I think it is also available for Android. It was $2.99 and I feel that the money was well spent. I am happy to be able to use the program with my husband. Perhaps I will finally make a go player out of him.

Now for my usual Go Activities content:





It was an active week with over 25 hours spent on Go Activity.

I played eleven games with all of them being League Games.




As of the time of this post I have already started to play in the Western Server Challenge.  The games are blitz and are taking about 20 minutes each to play.  I have already played 12 games in three days so I am well on track to complete 100 games of 19x19 before the end of the month.  I hope to increase the number of games I play daily so I can start on the 13x13 games before long.

No comments: