Saturday, November 27, 2021

My Week of Go Activities

 




This week I spent nearly 36 hours on Go Activities. A big chunk of that time was spent watching Clossius Live Stream. I was there for nearly ten hours of his stream this week, and I didn't catch all of it. He was really active, and I am very happy about it.

For those who have missed seeing Clossius stream, you can start celebrating, because Clossius is back live streaming the go lessons of his students which they are willing to share, and it is looking as if that is nearly all of them. This is a bonanza of DDK and SDK go instruction which is tailored to the individual needs of his students, yet instructive for all. Tune in not only to watch the lessons, but also to participate in the on-topic, as well as off-topic, chat from the peanut gallery. My lessons are at 3:15 PM EST on Fridays most weeks. You are welcome to observe.

If you work a day job, and watching the Clossius stream in the middle of the day is inconvenient for you, no worries. If you subscribe to his twitch stream at the $5.00 level you can watch the VODs. 



I've been instructed to slow down my game play with some good results. I played eight games this week and spent over seven hours doing so. Games are averaging close to an hour each. This includes my opponent's time as well as my own.


I played five games on Fox this week, and won all but one of them. If I win four more games I will rank up to 6 kyu. If I lose nine more games I will rank down to 8 kyu. I'm liking my "odds". Of course, there are no odds. It is all skill. 




I've added a new go teacher to those that I currently support. In addition to Guo Juan, In-seong Hwang, and Shawn Ray, I am now supporting Ben Mantle (BenKyo) at the $5.00 level on his Patreon. I joined mid month with the intention of leveling up to either the $15.00 or $30.00 tier in December. I haven't decided yet which one I will choose. 

I did get my name "buzzsaw" into the credits of his latest video, so that is cool.



In my most recent lesson with Clossius it became very clear that I am not reading very well in spite of working to improve that skill. I will continue to do more capture race problems, and read those problems all the way through before answering them. I will work on applying that skill in my games. That is the priority for the week going forward.

One last thing... I have stopped recording an activity that I spend a great deal of time on. That is Watching Others Play. I am still doing it quite a bit, but I am not giving myself credit for it by recording the time I spend doing it. Watching Others Play usually shows up as the number one activity for the week, and you may have been wondering why it is gone. It is because I feel that I am fooling myself by including it. I do learn things by watching others play, and observing their reviews, but recording that as Go Activity now feels a bit like cheating. There are more active ways to study go. I took a look at my Go Activities for the year, and found this.


The lime green wedge is Live Play.





1 comment:

BenKyo said...

That's really cool how you're tracking everything and it looks like you're putting a lot of Go training into your busy life, too! Much impress :D