Thursday, November 05, 2020

1st Place in the Canadian Open Go Tournament 8k/9k Band

The main event of the Canadian Open was played over three days; November 24, 25, and 31. Two games were played each day. I managed to win my first three games, lost my next two games, and won my last game for a record of 4:2. 

Three days after the event was over, in the early hours of Wednesday, November 4th, while I was agonizing over the soul of democracy in the United States... the presidential election was underway... I got an email with the Canadian Open Results. 

I expected something for my good record, but I was overjoyed to learn that I had taken first place in my band which included the ranks of 8k and 9k. I am a 9k player so I was surprised that I could take first place. Second place was also taken by a 9k. He had played me in the first round, and lost. While I went on to win my first three games, he went on to lose his first two games. When the dust settled SOS was on my side. None of the 8k players did any better than 2:4 which explained why a 9k was able to win a band with a stronger rank.

This happens to be a big deal to me because, in spite of having taken 3rd place and 2nd place multiple time at U.S. Go Congresses over the years, I have never managed to take a 1st place prize. I feel as if my studying is paying off.

During the days of the tournament I was posting my games to the Go Group on Facebook. I received a lot of reactions and comments, which was really nice. I will post below the final board positions for each game and links to the games on OGS.

I win rounds 1, 2, 3, and 6.

I lose rounds 4 and 5.



Round 1
W+8.5





Round 2
B+63.5




Round 3
W+12.5




Round 4
B+9.5




Round 5
W+R




Round 6
B+5.5




No comments: