Monday, May 25, 2020

Playing Correspondence Games on OGS



I am continuing with revealing what is new in my go in the past five years.

One of the things that I have added to my go routine is playing on OGS, the Online Go Server. I do not play live games there though. I have taken a liking to correspondence games. I usually have up to ten games going at a time on the server. The reason I limit myself to ten games is because I like that the games are shown as thumbnails of the board positions. Beyond ten the games they are shown as a list, which does not display well on my iPad. Edit: Based on a comment to this post, which you can read in full,  I was informed that I can adjust a setting for the number of thumbnails that will display. I have increased that number to 20.

What I like about correspondence play is that there is nearly a limitless amount of time to consider each move. This makes it more likely that I will consider alternate moves before playing. That is a habit I need to develop in my live games on KGS.

Another thing I like about correspondence play is that every time I come back to a game I have to come back to it with fresh eyes because I have been playing nine other games simultaneously. Sometimes I even have to check to see what color I am playing.

Playing correspondence games reduce the likelihood that I will be caught up in the rhythm of the fast play of my opponent. Admittedly, this has happened on occasion when my opponent and I have been on the server at the same time, and have alternated play at a relatively fast pace.

Having ten games going at once increases the likelihood that you will be able to log on during a busy period and spend an hour making moves in multiple games with players who are online also. The first time this happened to me I thought, "This is as close as I am ever going to get to playing simul games like a pro." Funny thought. I had to laugh.

Correspondence games allow you to step back from a difficult situation and gain some psychic distance, but one can just as easily become obsessed with resolving a situation and stay up too late waiting for your opponent's next move. The game above is a case in point. I am white. I have killed the surrounded black group near the bottom of the board, but not until I struggled with it during the course of the day, and way too late into the evening. Then I lost a significant amount of sleep because I could not wind down.

This morning I woke thinking first thing of this game, and the fact that winning it is not a sure thing by any means. My opponent is stronger than I,  and she is tricky too. I see a corner in the lower right that can be invaded. I see a potential cut at o13. I worry a bit over the atari at g8, and wonder if it might cause trouble. That is probably not the case though. I need to do some reading about it; reading that I would not have time to do in a live game.

Gentle readers, please to not give me any hints. I want to win this one on my own.

My name on OGS is buzzsaw. If you play there, and you want a correspondence game, please message me and tell me that you have read my blog.

My next post will be about my new group lessons.




1 comment:

Bonobo said...

Nice post, thx :-)

BTW how many miniatures are shown in the entry page is a setting, stored in a Cookie on your device (therefore can be different for every device you use).

So, if you’d like to play more than ten games and still have miniatures, just visit your settings: https://online-go.com/user/settings —> “General Preferences” —> “Game thumbnail list threshold” and set the number higher (and keep in mind that loading time can be slowed down by this; mine is set to 50, and I think I have 45 games currently :-D).

Cordially,
Tom (aka Bonobo aka trohde)