Wednesday, September 09, 2026

I Got a Nice Snapback in a Game at Club

 

Sunday, August 30th
I spent a significant amount of time on Tsumego Dragon working on a fairly new feature called Assessment.  You need to do three sets of problems (called assessments) and then you are given a set of training problems based on your results during the assessments.   Although unlimited usage of the Assessment feature requires a subscription, you can do one assessment per day as a free user. The training system is designed to zero in on the categories you are having trouble with, and to keep your solving percentage near 50%.

In the evening I watched a BenKyo League friend stream one of his Main league games in BenKyo League. It was an exciting game with a reversal.  There was a 1 dan player observing who left some variations.
 
 
Monday, August 31st
I spent a good deal of time with Tsumego Dragon again today.

Not go related, but I spent my evening watching episodes of the show Fallout which I am watching on recommendation from a Facebook Group devoted to the show Silo. I am looking forward to the final episode of season three of Silo this week.  It is going to be another year until we get season four, and I am planning to listen to the books while I wait.
 

Tuesday, September 1st
I attended a one hour tsumego group meeting in the afternoon.

I played my NAOL game tonight and won it by 22.5 points, which is quite a large margin.  I am now 2:0 for the current season of NAOL.
 
 
Wednesday, September 2nd
I played Kyle again at the Princeton Go Club.  We used reverse komi of -13.5 for white in place of the two stones we would ordinarily use.  Kyle told me that he had looked up 3-5 joseki in anticipation of us perhaps playing. I managed to get in a nice snapback which gave me more than the slight lead I had before the snapback.  Here is a link to the game at the time of the snapback.

 
Here is a screen capture of the time of the snapback:
 
 

 
 
 
Thursday, September 3rd
In today's lesson with Ben, we reviewed the game I played last week with Parker in which we used reverse komi of -65.5 which is the equivalent of six handicap stones.  Parker won that game easily by a little over 20 points.  It was a private lesson, but I told Ben I would be sharing it with Parker and the entire Princeton Go Club.  We spent the entire 90 minutes on that one game. Ben gave me permission to also share with the club a Study Group Class, the title of which is Endgame: Move Value Concepts & Counting. The class is two hours long.

I started watching the class after I dropped it into the Princeton Go Club Discord for all to watch. I was in attendance when the class was recorded three and a half years ago. It is class number 16, but Ben now has a library of 149 classes for Study Group members to watch. 
 
 
Friday, September 4th
In my two hour lesson with Clossius we started by spending nearly an hour reviewing my Princeton Go Club game with Kyle from Wednesday. I've shared that lesson with Kyle and the rest of the Princeton Go Club.

The tsumego group i lead on Fridays met tonight for an hour. We had a good sized group as usual lately.


Saturday, September 5th
Because it is the first Saturday of the month there was no Study Group Class today with BenKyo Baduk.

I spent time this evening doing training on my go problems on AI Sensei.

 
 
 

No comments: