Saturday, January 06, 2024

My Go Teacher: Guo Juan


I remembered seeing the above picture previously and really liked it. I was able to find it by googling "Guo Juan in a parka". "Guo Juan dressed up for Winter" failed.

Although I have never taken lessons with Guo Juan I must include her among my go teachers because I have been a happy subscriber to the Internet Go School for many years. 


I have 1827 days in a row of problems solved using her Spaced Repetition method for problem reinforcement. I am rated 34 for all time on her leaderboard system, and I am getting fairly close to two million problems solved. 

The Internet Go School provides lectures paired with problems related to those lectures. The problems are delivered to you daily based on how many you want to solve each day. You rate the difficulty of the problems as you solve them. This determines how soon you will see particular problems again. When you have trouble solving them you mark them "Forgot" and they will appear again quickly. There are some problems on the site that I won't be seeing for another ten years because I have marked them as being easy so many times.

When you log into the Internet Go School web site you will see my written recommendation among others.

In addition to using the Internet Go School I have attended workshops with Guo Juan. I also participated in her league classes which she conducted a number of years ago. I also enjoy seeing her at the U.S. Go Congress when she attends. Guo Juan has also requested game records from me for review for the eJournal on occasion.

For a detailed review of the Internet Go School please see this previous blog post.  The post is from January of 2023. It was written for the benefit of the DDK players of the BenKyo League of which I am a member. 

Now for my usual Go Activities content:




I put in a nearly ten hours on Go Activities last week. That isn't very much for me. Things ought to pick up next week when the American Yunguseng Dojang starts a new season. The week after that the NAOL will start a new season as well. 



My only game this week was a Title Tournament game for the BenKyo League. Title Tournament games do not count for our Elo ratings system in BKL so they don't need to be properly handicapped. The game I played was an even game against a 15k because they wanted to play even. 

I've been inspired to play all even games this month in BKL assuming my opponents agree to those settings.

Tsumego Dragon came in at first place in my Go Activities again this week.


In spite of the two and a half hours I spent I have dropped to 11th place on the leaderboard.  I need to work my way back up into the top ten.



No comments: