Wednesday, June 21, 2023

My Week of Go Activities: Using AI Sensei in Lessons for Review

 



I spent 29 hours on Go Activity this week with Live Play coming in as the clear leading activity.

I played seven games this week. One of them was a Pair Go game with Ben Mantle. We played that game against a lone 2k player which was the highest challenge we could face as a pair go team. Our opponent did not need to wonder what his partner was thinking because his partner was himself. We amazingly won that game by 0.5 in spite of my many sub optimal moves.





In my two hour lesson on Friday Clossius managed to look at every game I played last week plus a game I played that morning. So that was eight games in two hours. He only actually glanced at the Pair Go game I played with BenKyo Baduk against a 2k out of curiosity, but it is still an amazing number of games covered in that period of time.

Clossius did something new this week. Because I have links for all of my game to AI Sensei in my spreadsheet he decided to open the games in AI Sensei rather than on OGS. He disabled AI for the reviews as in the screen shot below.





I randomly selected a board position. It is not particularly interesting. If it had been interesting and Shawn wanted to take a look at AI he could just click a setting to turn on AI temporarily and he would see alternate moves as in the screen capture below.



For contrast below is what the position looks like in the AI that available with OGS. This is fine up until the point at which you click on an alternate move.



At that point you are presented with a full variation whether you want to see it or not. I have lowered the opacity of the stones to make it less annoying to me, but I still find it annoying. Let me decide one move at a time if I am interested in continuing with the variation. I don't want to see where it goes ahead of time. I'm sure this is just a personal preference, but it is a strong personal preference. I'd like it if there were an option to see only one move at a time when clicking a suggested move.



At the end of my lesson I joked with Clossius that his efficiency in reviewing my games is actually a conspiracy to make me play more games so I won't run out of material during our lessons.

I guess I had better play more games this week.

No comments: