Friday, June 10, 2022

My Week of Go Activities - Something Good is Coming

 


This is the board position of my game last night in the American Yunguseng Dojang at the point of resignation. I played a 4k and managed to get a resignation from her which felt really great.

Let me explain the sub title of my blog post today "Something Good is Coming".

I've been studying with In-seong Hwang through the American Yunguseng Dojang for nearly three years now. I've played over 130 games during that time and my ratings graph shows that I have gained nearly 200 ratings points in the system.



The rating system rewards you more for wins against players you are expected to lose to. It also punishes you less for losses to those players. You can see this in the chart below. It shows the various amounts rewarded or deducted due to my last 9 games.




My most recent win against a 4k earned me 17 points in the rating system while my loss against a 3k (2nd on the list) only lost me 4 points.

So what does, "Something good is coming" mean?

I've struggled with passive play. I've gotten a lot of feedback from In-seong on the need to play more actively. It has not been easy to do, and I keep working on it.

Last night I got the best review ever from In-seong. He had many good things to say and capped off his comments with the prediction that, "Something good is coming." I hope I will not disappoint him and my other teachers who have also been encouraging more active play.

In-seong Hwang is going to be in attendance at the U.S. Go Congress this year. I had attended his lectures at the Congress in 2018 and 2019, but I can't really say that I ever actually met him because we were not introduced, nor did we speak. I am looking forward to actually meeting him this year. He says that he recognizes a great many names of the attendees as current or former students.

Now for the usual weekly information...




It was a light week for go activity with only about 24 hours spent.

I took a bit of a break this week and played mostly only those games that I needed to play for leagues, though I did play one rated game on OGS.




Notably I spent nearly three hours editing and reviewing the file from my lesson with Yilun Yang last week. I want to get the most from my lessons with Yang during my third stint at lessons with him. I still have some lessons from seven years ago that have not yet been edited. That is not going to happen this time.

Something else I did last week was spending a good deal of time playing around with SmartGo One. I want to be adept at using it for game recording by the time I get to the Congress.


No comments: