Thursday, May 06, 2021

Internet Go School 1,000 Day Streak

 


A few days ago I achieved a streak of 1,000 days in a row of doing my Spaced Repetition Problems on Guo Juan’s Internet Go School.

Below you see a screen capture of the site on my MacBook Pro. The site works in a web browser. I happen to be using Safari and it works very well. 


It looks great on my iPad Pro too.



The Internet Go School consists of Lectures and Spaced Repetition Go Problems. Problems are derived from the lectures and reinforce the content you learn from the lectures. 

Most lectures are fifteen minutes or shorter in length. You watch lectures. Then you add problems from those lectures to your problem queue. Then you do your problems every day. You decide how many problems you want to solve every day. When you solve your problems you grade how difficult the individual problems are. This will determine how soon they appear for you again. 



I solve all of my due problems every day because I get extra points for doing that. Earning points gets you on the Leaderboard, or close to the Leaderboard. I am generally a bit shy of being among the top ten users on the Leader Board. I am buzzsaw in position 17 below.


I came in a few people shy of hitting the top ten on the Leaderboard the day I finally hit 1,000 days in a row.


You get cool statistics about your activities on the site. The darkest green color is time spent watching lectures. I usually watch additional lectures when I am ready to add new problems to my queue, or if I decide it is time to review something. I think it makes sense to cycle through the lectures, which you can watch at various speeds. Yellow represents doing problems in what is called “Quick Look” mode. It is a great way to see all of the problems for a lecture one right after another. On the 24th I decided to click through a lot of problems on the Chinese Opening using Quick Look, thus the swath of yellow on that date. Blue is for New Problems. Salmon is for Learn Problems. Light green is for Review Problems.


You access lectures from the menu above which has drop down lists that expand and collapse. You can play around with how that works on the site once your start your free trial.

Every day when I wake up the first order of business is completing my Spaced Repetition Go Problems. I do them while I drink coffee in bed. My husband brings me a cup of coffee, and my problems are completed for the day before my feet hit the floor. Problems usually take me about 30 minutes. 

I could show more screen captures of the features of the site, but I urge you to just get the trial and get started. 

I wrote a review for the site which you can read if you navigate to the home page without logging into the site. 

There is a free trial so you can experience all of the Internet Go School goodness without spending a cent. Once you have gotten a taste I think you will be ready to subscribe. When you do, don’t bother with the monthly membership. The real value is paying by the year. 

If I had a limited go budget, a subscription to the Internet Go School would be the first thing I would buy. 

One of the things I love is seeing problems from the Internet Go School in my games. I had this happen just the other day.


Above is the problem.

Below is the solution.


And here is the game.


I did go on to lose this game, but not because I played that situation incorrectly. I remember thinking when my opponent played r6, “I can handle this. It is right out of the GJ Playbook.” 

Give it a try and see if the Internet Go School is right for you,





1 comment:

Darrell Malick said...

What a fabulous writeup - Thank you! And WOW on reaching 1000 days!!