Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Win A Prize - Lose a Rank - What?

Last week I checked my rating to see if the results of the Hoboken tournament were in yet. They weren't, but I found that my rating had increased to -8.92, which was up from the -8.98 I had achieved immediately after the congress.


I checked my rating again this morning.


Imagine my surprise, having gone 3-1 in Hoboken, to see that my new rating had dropped to -9.10 after having achieved prize winning results in my last tournament.


WHAT ?


It just doesn't make sense.


I would rather that I had stabilized at 9 kyu as a result of my 2-3 record at the congress. At least that would have made sense.


I came back from Hoboken feeling that my 8 kyu rating would at least be solidified. I didn't really expect it to change for the better by more than a couple hundredths of a point.


It just doesn't make sense to win and have your rating go down as a result.


At least my sigma is up to 0.47773


But now I have to enter as 9 kyu at my next tournament.


No comments: