Tuesday, May 25, 2021

My Week of Go Activities

 



I am a little late with my weekly activities post probably because I took a break from playing this week. I needed the break and I am now ready to get back to playing again, so all is well.

I put in nearly 40 hours on Go Activities this week, but played only four games. They can be seen in my spreadsheet.

I had a really bad week of games the previous week, and it really threw me. I had a YD League game I had to play on Wednesday and had a surprise victory. I was shocked yet encouraged by that event. Then I discovered that my one remaining game in YD for the cycle had very high stakes attached to it. The winner would move up one league and the loser would move down one league. I had never noticed a game with such high stakes before, but the reason for it was that the games in league were very evenly split.

Once I learned that I might go up or down based on my next league game I did not want to jinx myself by playing in the meantime and ruining my mental state. I wanted to remain invincible for the next two days if only in my mind.

The video review of my YD victory from Wednesday came out with my best review ever from In-Seong. This encouraged me.

In the time between Wednesday and Friday I did lots of go problems. I studied by pouring over D League game reviews. I worked on keeping a calm mind the day of the game. I got a pep talk from Clossius on Discord after telling him about the the stakes of the game.

The game was watched by many YD friends who were rooting for both sides. We are all friends. There was going to be joy and sorrow for the spectators no matter who won this game. I managed to win the game by 9.5. Unlike the game on Wednesday this was not a surprise upset. I did not need to kill something at the end. I got a bit ahead in the game early on and managed to hold onto enough of it to win the game.

The best news of all, which we discovered during the league review, is that while I went up to D1, my opponent did not need to fall to D3. A stronger player is leaving YD mid season, and is being replaced by a D3 player which meant that my good friend in YD was able to stay in the D2 league for the next cycle. That made me very happy.


Now for the important stuff:

My rated win loss ratio is 0:2

15:17    Essential Go Activities

3:43    24%    Live Play

8:29    56%    Go Problems

3:05    20%    Game Review

My goal for this week is to play more games. I am changing venue though. I am going to be playing all of my games on KGS this week. I have already used my fearless account to play two games.


No comments: