Tuesday, May 04, 2021

My Week of Go Activities

 



I spent nearly 49 hours on Go Activities this week. I am continuing to spend a lot of time Watching Others Play which often results in Reviewing Games of Others.  The time spent this week Reviewing My Games was usually spent with go friends who had watched my games as they were played.


I was unhappy with the amount of time I was spending with Live Play after playing 10 games. The time was low because my OGS games are taking fewer than 30 minutes to complete. This is especially true of the rash of resignations in my favor that I achieved this week. I wanted to play a few more games on Saturday, but I was feeling very protective of my OGS record for the week. I was 6:1. See below:



I wanted to play some more, but I also wanted a new account where I felt free to be more experimental in my play. I was actually planning to keep that account secret, without logging the details on my spreadsheet, while planning to count the time spent toward Live Play. Somehow that felt dishonest. Since my go life has been an open book all along I couldn’t bring myself to do that. I decided to own up to the new account and document the games. I ended up playing a total of 12 games this week.

The new account is named reckless. It is on KGS, and was inspired by a review I had last week in AYD. It was a very tough and valuable review. I was advised to turn off the part of my go CPU that defends. I was also encouraged to try more invasions. Some of them I would not have seen on my own. A new account, reckless, was created with these goals in mind. I can’t say that my first two games with the account have achieved my goals, but I have hopes that I can explore more invasions and last ditch efforts with my reckless account which is currently a remarkable 4k.

I have become conflicted about the way I have been reporting my win/loss ratio. the new season for YD has begun. YD games are always even. They are often played between players of disparate rank. The victories sometimes feel undeserved, as do some of the losses. Thankfully, YD games are always non rated.

Because OGS is where Clossius is hoping to see me rank up I’ve considered focusing on only OGS games for my ratio, but I should at least focus on only rated games. This week I will report it both ways.

I did rank up this week. I am 8k now on OGS with three wins in a row at that rank. I am unlikely to drop to 9k now unless I experience a really bad streak. Now I must work on getting to 7k.


Now for the important stuff...

12 Games Played (rated and NR)

OGS - Ranked Up to 8k


Essential Go Activities:     
23:07 (hours : minutes)
Nearly half of total time spent. (over 48 hours)

6:14       27%      Live Play
7:52       34%      Go Problems
9:01       39%      Game Review



Win/Loss Ratio OGS Rated
6:1      86% wins

Win/Loss Ratio All Rated
7:2      78% wins

No comments: