Thursday, May 11, 2023

My Week of Go Activities: Pie Charts on Hold

 


Ordinarily I would begin my blog post with a colorful Pie Chart of my Go Activities followed by a list of Go Activities with the percentage of time spent on each. 

Instead this week I offer a screen capture by way of explanation as to why I can not provide my usual chart and list.

I had purchased an iPad mini to use to record my U.S. Go Congress games last year and I had not used it since returning home after the Congress. I recently charged it and checked to see that its is operational for the Congress this July. 

I opened Now Then, the IOS app I use to record my Go Activities. It started to update data from iCloud yesterday, and it is still updating. Eight months of data is a lot to update. This process has made the app unavailable on my iPhone where I normally use it. Based on the above screen capture I would expect it to take a few days for this situation to resolve. In the mean time I will keep a rough estimate of time spent on various actives to enter retroactively once things are back in order.

In the meantime I'll just present my game information for the week.



I played only four games during the week. The first two were BenKyo Main League Group B games. The third was a Go Magic League game. The fourth was an AYD Game.

The AYD Game was interesting because it was so close. I had a lot of time on my clock so I was abel to count multiple times at the end of the game, and I was quite certain that I was going to win by exactly half a point. 

Unfortunately, I was not so careful about clicking the dead stones when it came time to help the computer score. I am black. This was a Points Lover game.


You can see that the failure to click the dead white stone in the lower right created an inaccurate score of W+8.5

I uploaded this game to my SGF Library on OGS and you can see it there.

We agreed that the score should have been B+ 0.5 and I reported it as a win for me and In-seong agreed because he presented it that way in review. I have to be more careful about checking for dead stones. I was so sure of the score I just clicked to accept it and then realized my mistake immediately.

This game put me at 2:0 for the current cycle in Group C3 of AYD.

Update:


It has been a couple days since I uploaded this post and the situation has gotten even worse with the updating of the data for the NOW THEN app.





Notice that it is now estimating that it will take over 95 hours for the updating to complete whereas a few days ago it was estimating that it would take only 42 hours.

I will admit that there is something freeing about not tracking my activities. Perhaps I will take a vacation from that. What isn't fun is manually taking a notes about my activities to enter the data retroactively. I might stop doing that if a few days if things don't get better.

No comments: