Friday, July 23, 2021

Positive Reinforcement for Games Lost by a Specific Margin




I’ve been keeping a spreadsheet of my games for a number of months now. 

My teacher, Shawn Ray, encouraged me to create this spreadsheet as a launch pad for game review during our lessons on OGS.  When I play games on servers other than OGS I upload those games to my SGF Library on OGS. Putting links to all of the files in my spreadsheet allows us to easily begin reviews of games from any server.

In my most recent lesson Shawn and I talked about how he wants me to have positive reinforcement for games that I lose by fewer than 25 points. I am 8 kyu now on OGS. He said that when I get to 5 kyu that we should change that threshold to 15 points.

We came to the conclusion that I could continue to color code the Result and Rank columns as I had been doing all along in order to show the severity of wins and loses. However, he wanted me to color code the Games List column to be green for any game I lose by fewer than 25 points. He said that this would make me feel good about "close" games. The definition of "close" will get more stringent as I improve. I decided to go with a light green and a light red (pink).

Shawn said that he wished he could automate this for his students. It would actually be a great feature for OGS to add as an additional column with the ability to indicate the threshold, and to change that threshold over time depending on what your teacher recommends, or how much positive reinforcement you need.

Gosh! I actually feel so much better about myself now. I really do. 

I lost seven out of 14 games last week, but only two of them were by more than 25 points or by resignation, and one those games was only one point above the threshold.

Shawn is not only my teacher. He is my go psychologist.

No comments: