Tuesday, July 27, 2021

My Week of Go Activities

 



I spent over 35 hours on Go Activities last week.

It was the week of the e-Go Congress, so one might assume that I would play more game, but I played fewer games just as I do during an across the board real life Go Congress. Games were fewer and slower. I participated in the Open and in Pair Go. I chose not to participate in the Blitz Tournament because I think that blitz is bad for me.  I play too fast as it is. I was unable to participate in the DDK tournament because my official AGA rating is 9 kyu. Plus I promoted to 8 kyu for the tournament.

I’ve been to 18 actual Go Congresses to date. At a real Go Congress I spend most of my time being social and attending lectures. This was true of the e-Go Congress this year. 

The Twitch stream was full of great events including the Opening Ceremony, Closing Ceremony, and two lectures by In-Seong Hwang. It was possible to be social in the comments of the Twitch stream during those events. 

The addition of a Discord server made the event even more social than it was last year. People posted introductions and there was talk in the general channel. There were also Zoom Hang Out events to attend. I participated in a number of them this year, and enjoyed them immensely. 

One of the best parts of the Congress for me this year was participation in the Beginner’s Night on Tuesday. It was scheduled for three hours, but ran for four. I helped in one of the break out rooms in Track 1 for new players.

The highlight of the Congress was the Pair Go event. I was nervous about it, but it went really smoothly. My partner and I lost our first game by 3.5 points and we won our second game by 2 points making us 3rd place at our table. I felt really good about the close games. My partner and I had a great time. 

I was reminded this week of why I play go. I play go for the community. 


Now for the important stuff: 

My rated win loss ratio is 2:0    (100% Wins)

 18:02    Essential Go Activities  (over 50%)

 5:10        29%    Live Play 

 9:38        53%    Go Problems

 3:14        18%    Game Review


No comments: