Monday, August 31, 2026

I Tried Negative Komi rather than Six Stones in a Game at the Princeton Go Club

Sunday, August 23rd
I continued working on reviewing a lesson with Clossius.


Monday, August 24th
I finished reviewing the lesson with Clossius.  I am not recording the time I spend on things anymore so I can't really say how much time I spent, but I made AI Sensei problems for all five of the games he reviewed.  I would estimate that I spent at least three hours reviewing that lesson, maybe even four given that I have to rewind pretty often when I find material for problems.  It was a two hour lesson to begin with.

For one of the games in the lesson I made 44 problems.  I now have 1,530 problems in AI Sensei.


Tuesday, August 25th

I was taking a look at the number of posts per year on my blog today.  If you take a look at the list on the right side you will notice a gap of five years when I did not blog at all. That was from 2015 through 2019.  It turns out that there were two things that probably caused that gap.  I started an eight year break from lessons with Yilun Yang in 2015.  The other thing that probably brought about the end of my blogging about go is that I was heavily involved with quilting, and I was blogging about that multiple times a week. I didn't really have a go community to center me like I do now with BenKyo League, and I had no teachers at all after stopping lessons with Yilun Yang.  I was also attending the Go Congress alternate years for a while during that time period.  I just wasn't that into go anymore.  If it hadn't been for going to congress alternate years I might have given up the game. It wasn't until I decided to join the American Yunguseng Dojang in 2019 after the Go Congress in Madison, that I started to play go with any seriousness. That soon lead to blogging again in 2020.  If you want to know more about that you can look at the first few posts from 2020.

I lead a one hour tsumego group for the BenKyo Study Group today.

The NAOL season started today. I won my first game by 4.5 points.  It was against an opponent I played seven times, and this was only my second win against him.  It was a fairly close game throughout with neither player being more than about 10 points in the lead at any time.

My game was finished in about an hour.  I joined the stream of a friend of mine who is in my NAOL division, and also a BenKyo League member.  I watched him defeat my next opponent.  His game went on for at least 40 minutes after I arrived in his stream.  It is always fun to watch him stream his games and then review them on AI Sensei. 


Wednesday, August 26th,
I woke up at 4:00 AM and didn't get back to sleep.  I decided to do some go problems so I opened up AI Sensei. My training shows 9 games with a total of 200 problems due.  I'll chip away at them and then maybe give sleep another shot. 

I never did get back to sleep even though I tried.  I eventually made coffee and started my day.  I didn't want to challenge myself too much so I decided to entertain myself by watching a Semi-Private Lesson of another BenKyo League member.  One of the nice perks of being in BKL is that Ben posts the Semi-Private lessons in a dedicated channel, so all BKL members can watch them.  I noticed that our newest member had a 60 minute lesson posted yesterday so I decided to watch it while I was waking up with coffee.

I played Parker at the Princeton Go Club.  We decided to use the negative komi chart that BenKyo Baduk developed for use in BenKyo League.  Parker seemed skeptical of the -65.5 komi required to equal a six stone handicap.  I suggested that the negative komi could be regarded as something requiring adjustment, just like handicap stones. He decided he was willing to give it a try. He had no trouble winning, and I lost by a little over 20 points.  I at least got to play the opening that Ben developed for me. It starts with a 3-5 stone. We ended up with a meaningless ko at the end of the game. It wasn't going to change the results, but we played it, and it turned out to be the longest ko I had ever played.  It was hard enough to record on my iPad. I am glad I wasn't recording on a paper kifu. Based on results, Parker and I are going to have to try seven stones next time. I did better than I did last week, but the results still indicate that handicap is insufficient.  


After finishing my game with Parker I was quite tired, but I played a few small board games with Kyle.


Thursday, August 27th
I have a lesson with Clossius on Friday, and I really don't have much material for our lesson. I decided to play some games on the PlayGo server late in the evening.  I played four games in a row.  I lost them all.  I am convinced that every opponent I played was a bot.  They all played to keep the time left on our clocks nearly even.  I might play some more games tomorrow before our lesson.  Clossius can usually do six reviews in a two hour lesson.


Friday, August 28th
I woke up early, downloaded my games from PlayGo, uploaded them to my SGF Library on OGS, and put them into my games spreadsheet. I didn't play any more games.

I discovered that PlayGo now has a Coaching feature for review.  I used it to review the final game I played last night. That is how I spent my morning.

I had a nice lesson with Clossius in the afternoon. It turned out that I had plenty of material for him without using any of the bot games from PlayGo. We reviewed four games.



Saturday, August 29th
I didn't do much today other than watch a few BenKyo League games being played.  I am pleased to see that we are going to be able to maintain our five groups for September.  BenKyo league has members from 6 dan to 20 kyu.

No comments: