Tuesday, August 11, 2026

My Week - Post Congress

Since I am too lazy to fix my problem posting images I have journaled about my week post Congress in a fashion similar to the way I journaled my time at the Congress.  


Just think of this as a Podcast delivered in the form of text.

Sunday, August 2nd
I arrived home safely, but a good deal later than expected, due to my flight being pushed back, and my luggage arriving ahead of me. I had arrived at Logan about six hours before my flight.  My luggage ended up taking an earlier flight than I, so luggage retrieval took time.  I was delivered home at about 7:00 PM. I greeted my husband and made myself some scrambled eggs. Not having eaten an actual meal all day, just cookies and cough drops, I was famished. My husband had left me with a very tidy kitchen, for which he was praised. He retired after my meal, leaving me to decompress with my laptop. The next couple of days were a blur of putting things away, doing laundry, and straightening things around the house. The kitchen is a mess again, but that is my fault since it is my job.


Wednesday, August 5th
I had not played a game since the Congress, so I was off to the Princeton Go Club to get in a couple games.  A couple games turned into four games.  

My first game was against Kyle, who I had played twice perviously.  Our first game had been played even, but I lost by quite a bit.  I asked for, (demanded?), two stones in our second game that same day. We never finished that game because I had to get home to watch BenKyo Baduk review an NAOL game of mine. The second game with Kyle turned out to be dead even when we ended it.  Those first two games had been a few weeks ago. We decided that 2 stones had seemed to be a good handicap, and we played with two stones again.  I recorded the game and we used a clock. Kyle is a thinker. He uses his time, and he felt that he might not do as well with a clock, but he won by 6.5, so it seems that two stones is, in fact, reasonable for us, and Kyle did fine with the clock. We used Fischer time set to 10 minutes plus 20 seconds, which turns out to be a minimal time setting for an AGA rated game. I look forward to our next game. I stop recording mid game, but here is a partial record of it which takes us into the end game.



My second, third, and fourth games were all against hochul, who I had never played before. We decided on five stones because it is the number of stones that Parker gives me, and hochul and Parker play even. I lost a significant group in the first two games resulting in resignations, probably premature.  I wasn't taking into account the fact that I ought to be able to recover from the loss of a group with five stones. We both agreed that these two games said little about how much handicap is required in our games, so we played at five stones again.

Hochul recorded all of the game and uploaded links to the games on the Princeton Go Club Discord server, so I will be able to review them.  The games were recorded in an app that Andy, another club member, created called Better Baduk.  The links below lead to the games on Better Baduk.  I am providing the links incase anyone is interested in viewing the games. 

The links will take you directly to the Better Baduk site. While you are there take a look at Better Baduk.



I had BenKyo Baduk look at the game above in the last thirty minutes of a private lesson. He showed me that my move 70 should probably have been at q17.  The invasion could have been thwarted from the outside.  It would have been simpler.  As it was, my big mistake was failing to take a liberty from white with move 76.  I should have played at r19.  White would then have been unable to approach at r18 due to a shortage of liberties.  Ben also told me that my resignation was premature. Better Baduk AI agrees since black was ahead by 31.5 at the time of resignation.  I have to stop rage quitting. I should record next time.  That helps me to keep a level head.




The game immediately above resulted in a loss by a margin large enough to suggest a seven stone handicap next time. I look forward to it.

I have not spent time yet looking at the second and third games listed above.  I might have Ben look at them with me. I have plenty of lesson time on account with him.


Thursday, August 6th
I had a 90 minute private lesson with Ben.  We spent the first hour reviewing my game from Round 6 of the Open. I played a youngster and went to great lengths to to avoid playing at his speed.  I spent short periods of time away from the board to clear my head, and I tried to play slowly while I there. I lost the game by 6.5.  I could have won if I had seen the potential for seki in the upper right corner.  The link below is to the game on AI Sensei. If I had simply made the atari at p19 after all the dame were filled I might have seen the moves necessary to make the seki.  I definitely would have followed the atari of p19 with the peep at q18. It would not have been too hard to see the rest after that point. Lesson learned.  I need to remember to play sente moves that might result in trouble at the end of the game.




Friday, August 7th
I had a two hour private lesson with Clossius.  He reviewed five of my Open games from the Congress. 

In the evening I conducted a group tsumego session that is held every Friday night at 8:00 pm ET on the Friday Night Lights server on Discord.  We missed two Fridays in a row while I was at the Congress. 


Saturday, August 8th
I realized that the Congress, and my post Congress week, had been responsible for a loss of eight vacation days on the Internet Go School site.  Thank goodness I had increased my vacation days to 14 before setting off for the Congress.  I need to get back in the swing with my spaced repetition practice.  It is unacceptable to risk losing my record of 2,649 days in a row.

I am still not tracking the time I am spending on Go Activities even though I am back from Congress.  I might start back with that soon, or I might take a vacation from that as I blog in journal fashion.

I attended an interactive Group Class with BenKyo Study Group members.  It was really good, and took nearly 3 hours.  It was a class about the one space low pincer to the one space high approach to the 3-4 stone. 

I've decided that I like not posting images in my blog.  It is the most tedious part of blogging. I might continue with this journal format for a while.


No comments: