Friday, December 10, 2021

My Week of Go Activities

 


Let's start out with the news that I have ranked up to 6k on Fox. I started at 6k and was actually set to rank up to 5k at one point before I experienced a losing streak that sent me down to 7k. Now I am back where I belong and I will start working on the next promotion.

Next I would like to announce that I am currently undefeated in the Canadian League with a 3-0 record. I do not expect that to last for long. Here is a decisive moment from my most recent Canadian League game. I managed to kill something.



AI analysis shows that I was really slow on the draw seeing the weak group, and making that kill, as illustrated below. Luckily I got to it before my opponent protected the group. I apparently didn't need the kill to win the game. AI shows me ahead by about 30 points without it. I think I played very conservatively after the kill. This opponent has put me in some precarious situations in previous games, so I needed to be careful. There may be chicken moves.





Now for the usual information:




In spite of no longer counting the time I spend watching others play, and reviewing their games with them, I still put in nearly 27 hours on Go Activity this week. My guess would be that I spent another ten or more hours working with my go friend, Drewch.

Live Play came in at the top of the list just above Spaced Repetition Problems, which got a big boost this week because Guo Juan created a slew of problems recently which I added to the Training System. They largely involved modern joseki.

Check out the Internet Go School for more information. 

You can see below in the Study Stats section that I added quite a few problems at once, and that I marked them repeatedly in a way to keep them appearing frequently as I was learning them. Once I was able to mark them as "Got It" things settled down. I love the Spaced Repetition Problems from the Internet Go School.


I have reached #39 for All Time on the Leaderboard for the Internet Go School.

Something else is new this week. 

You may recall that I skipped up to Level 4 Support on Patreon for Ben Mantle last week to experience the Study Group and League Play. 

After researching his lesson packages, and learning that he is planning to discontinue taking on new students through that means, I suffered a serious case of FOMO (fear of missing out). As a result, I upped my support to Tier 6 where I will get one lesson a month plus significant personal stream time as well as the Study Group and League Play. Once a month was really all I wanted, and the other perks for the lower Tiers will probably make it worth the investment. 

For details about the Tiers search for BenKyo or Ben Mantle on Patreon. You can see all I get on Tier 6 if you check out his Tiers on Patreon. It would be difficult to show the extensive list here.



Make no mistake. I am thrilled with my lessons with Shawn Ray, and will continue with them. Since I have the time, the means, and the interest to do more, I am branching out a bit to support another go teacher.


This week I played eight games, five of them rated on Fox. My losses were within very small margins. There were only two losses this week. All of my games got colored with "Feel Good" green.

I made a new rule for myself. After my husband has gone to bed if I have not yet played a game for the day I hop on Fox and play a game whether I want to or not. So far it is working.

1 comment:

Craig said...

Glad to see you posting again! Thanks for sharing your Go journey with us.