Tuesday, March 02, 2021

My Week of Go Activities

 



I spent about 35 hours on go activities this week. YD Game Reviews came in at the number one spot at a little over six hours. I’m trying to catch up on unwatched reviews. Combined Live Play came in just five minutes short of that in second place. Clossius Go Lessons came in third at over five hours. I spent considerable time reviewing two of my lessons this week and taking notes. Watching Others Play is also up this week at over four hours. YD players cheer each other on in our games. I’ve been watching C group games on Thursdays because a few of my friends are now in the C League.





Saturday’s Activities

Clossius and I had discussed doing the Connection Problems on 101weiqi during our last lesson. He asked me how long it takes me to go all the way through the set.  I had never thought about that because I never go all the way through a set in one sitting. I estimated 15 seconds per problem. I decided to start the Connection Problems fresh on Saturday to satisfy my curiosity on this point. It took me approximately one hour and three minutes to complete the set. I did this in five sessions throughout the day. It turns out that my estimate of 15 second per problem was correct within a couple of decimal places. Time includes the load time for problems as well as the reload time for missed problems which I attempt again. I’m still missing a few of them.


Games List:




Games List Closely Cropped


4    5    6    8    9

Above is a screen capture of my games list spreadsheet. It is a little hard to read. If you click on it you will be able to see it better because it will open up larger. The row of numbers is composed of live links to games available for review.

Gray rows are unavailable for review either because they are AYD games (two this week), or because they were played on Tygem, and an sgf file is unavailable to me.

I have to admit that I was a little afraid to play this week. I had a lot to process from my lesson, and I was starting to worry about appearances. It was a great lesson. He was appropriately tough on me. I am being called on my lack of reading, and lack of attacking. It is just a lot to process.  The Tygem games were fun and interesting, but it bothers me that I am unable to offer them for review during my lesson, yet they are sitting there as losses effecting my win/loss ratio. I may still play on Tygem and count the time, but not factor the wins and losses into my ratio. It is good game experience to play on Tygem. I think I would like to warm up with a Tygem game each day.

Once I finally started to play again I managed to get four wins under my belt. Unfortunately, out of five games available for review, only one of them is a loss. It happens to be a handicap game, and I really don’t think that there is much to gain from looking at it.

Even though Clossius will not want to review my latest AYD game, I might ask him to click through it to get a feel for how it went. Then perhaps something can be gained from looking at the Free League Game with the same player two days later, which I won. There were many mistakes in that game. I missed an end game tesuji. It is one I have used. I know it, but I played reflexively. 


I missed the right next move. I played reflexively. I should not have missed this.

But that is nothing compared to my failure to mark dead stones in an auto match game on KGS which I lost by 1.5, but should have won by 5.5. My opponent did not answer me when I asked him if he had noticed. Single stones snuggled in very tight areas are easy to overlook.


Woops




No comments: