Tuesday, March 09, 2021

My Own Spaced Repetition Problems on AI-Senei

I have come to recognize the value of Spaced Repetition Problems. They are used on the web site for Guo Juan’s Internet Go School. The problems help me to remember what I learn there, especially joseki, and the new AI variations that I have found difficult to digest.

Not long ago AI-Sensei added the ability to create Spaced Repetition Problems using your own games. At first the problems were based only on the moves that Ai-Sensei suggested. Recently though, the ability to create your own problems was added. You use the Trial Board to set up a correct answer to a problem in your game. You then create a problem from that position. I do not know if the free version of the web site supports the creation of problems. I subscribe to the Basic level of the service.

Last week I played an AYD game with a comment from In-Seong that I wanted seared into my memory. It seemed like the right time to give the Spaced Repetition Problems feature on AI-Sensei a try.

I found the process to be very intuitive. I navigated to the place in the game record where the correct answer would have been an alternative next move to my incorrect response. I clicked on the Trial Board. I played the alternative move. Then I clicked on “Add Problem” and my problem was created. It was as simple as that.

It was so simple that I decided to watch the entire video review of my game so I could create some more problems for it. I made all but one of the problems viewed from my side of the game. I could have made more problems from White’s perspective. That might actually help me view games from the perspective of my opponent, which is something I have difficulty doing.


After creating a number of problems for my game with Rhett23 I started a review session. There were a few additional problems in the review session from a time when I was playing around with creating problems based on the suggestions of AI-Sensei.

Below are all of the problems from my game with Rhett23.


Above is the suggested move that gave me the idea to create my own problems. In-Seong was quite surprised that I had not considered the cut at L4. It is my “special problem” not to see obvious moves like this. I am working on getting better about this.


Above is a recommendation to create the Dog Face position. In-Seong also suggested adding a move at o8 afterwards for additional good shape. 

Above In-Seong expected me to help my side group with g10 rather than playing at k13. I like how the problem shows the actual move in red.


Above it was suggested that e9 would have offered better help to my group than the move I chose at 75. The bad move opened my group up to attack from White. I made a problem for White using the suggested attack.


White should attack at d10 rather than playing f6.


Last, there was a suggestion that s8 is the way to continue rather than playing at  t7.

I could have added more problems for White, and may go back to do so at some point in the future.

It is my plan to revisit my review videos from my earlier games in Yunguseng Dojang, and to create a few problems for each one. I have quite a few games in AYD alone. In EYD I have 15 additional games. 


Each dot in the graph above represents an AYD game with an accompanying video review. If I can create five problems from each review that will be a lot of problems. Adding in the EYD games I have 89 videos to review. That is potentially 445 problems I can create. I can also go over my lessons with Clossius looking for problems in the games we have reviewed.

If I really want to go crazy I have 14 years of lessons with Yilun Yang with lots of potential for problem creation.

Those interested in the Yunguseng Dojang should get on the waiting list for the next season. You can choose between the American Dojang and the European Dojang. The main difference is the time of day the games and reviews take place, though I think it is fair to say that the Europeans are stronger.  

We are currently in the second week of the third cycle of Season 29. Season 30 will be starting at the beginning of April. Come and join us. I am especially keen on seeing more 12k to 8k members join in the fun. My only complaint about YD is that the ratings spread in the lowest league is too large. We can fix that with more members in the lower ranks.

If you are 12k, then you are not too weak to benefit from joining YD and learning with us.



No comments: