I have been so late in getting out last week's journal entries, that I am combining them with this week's journal entries, so here you will find two weeks of my ramblings about go.
Week one
Sunday, September 20th
I reviewed my the 60 minute lesson I had with Ben yesterday. It was the lesson in which Ben reviewed the game I played with Kyle at the Princeton Go Club last Wednesday. I created 22 problems for that game in AI Sensei. I use AI Sensei problems to review the things that Ben went over in our lessons, so the problems are sometimes remembrances rather than problems in the usual sense of the word. I wish there was a way to share the problems, but that is currently impossible to do. I am thinking that I need an alternate means of summarizing my lessons for future review. I want a way to cut to the meat of the lessons without having to listen to every minute over again. I thought that AI Sensei problems would provide me with that means, but the lack of control I have over viewing them has been disappointing.
Continuing with the Level 1 problems in Tsumego Dragon:
- I did Snapback and Throw In Tactic for a total of 48 problems.
- I did Vital Wedge, Squeeze Tactic, Shape, Connect & Die, and Eye vs. No Eye for 29 problems
- I did Double Threat / Atari, Capture Race, Endgame (Yose), and Opening Basics for 84 problems
- I did Mutual Life, Liberty Shortage, and Bamboo Snapback for 14 problems
- I did Loop/ko and Double Loop/ko for 5 problems.
I think I have done almost all of the problems from Level 1 now. I may be missing a few based on the math of the groups from today and yesterday, but it is not going to be worth my time to try to track down the few problems that I missed. I'll try to be more systematic with Level 2 when I start doing that level. My main goal is to go through all of the problems up through Level 3. I'll probably repeat that periodically.
Monday, September 21st
Here I go with Level 2 of Tsumego Dragon.
- 46 Capture problems.
- 58 Connecting problems.
There were new episodes for both Star Point and All Things Go. I listened to both episodes. It is great to have fresh episodes every week.
Tuesday, September 22nd
I had a really bad night sleeping last night. I woke up at about 4:30 am, and unable to go back to sleep. Since I have an important NAOL game tonight I took a nap in the afternoon so I can try to be fresh for my game.
I lost my NAOL game tonight. I did finish Season 23 at 4:1
Wednesday, September 23rd
Here I go again continuing with Level 2. To avoid missing any problems I have decided to do the categories in the order in which they appear in the app, rather than grouping them based on similarity.
- 17 Disconnect
- 29 Double Threat / Atari
I attended the Princeton Go Club. Parker and I played two reverse komi games. He keeps winning, so he had to take on increasing amounts of reverse komi starting with 78.5 for the first game, which I lost, and then 91.5 for the second game. I've arranged lesson time with Ben to review both of these games. I've scheduled two 60 minute lessons. We will cover each game in separate lessons.
I had to leave the club at 9:00 pm to get back in time for an NAOL review with Ben. My game was the last of three he was scheduled to review between 9:00 pm and 10:00 pm. I got back home by 9:30, to find Ben still holding forth on the first game, which did not surprise me. Ben gives great reviews for NAOL and spends more time than the twenty minutes per review he is contracted for. This particular session lasted for two and a half hours, and he ended up spending over an hour on my game alone. It turns out that I didn't play that poorly, which made me feel better. I made a mistake with a reduction that ended up getting contained, and then I handled the fight that resulted poorly. I should have run farther with those stones before making them live.
If you have an AGA membership, and you are not playing in NAOL, you are seriously missing out. Season 23 just ended, and it probably won't be long before they open up registration for Season 24.
To peak your interest in playing in the NAOL, I will provide you with a link to Ben's most recent set of reviews. Mine is the last game.
The link provided will start at the beginning of my game review.
Thursday, September 24th
In my lesson today with Ben we played a teaching game with a lot of discussion during the game. I felt like I needed more immediate feedback, so I wanted to give that a try.
Friday, September 25th
I lead my usual tsumego group in the evening at 8:00 PM.
Saturday, September 26th
Back to Level 2 problems in Tsumego Dragon.
- 100 Capture Race
Week Two
Sunday, September 27th
I played a game on PlayGo. gg, and felt as if I might not have played a bot this time. I have a lesson with Clossius this Friday. I should play a few more games to make sure I have enough material for him.
Monday, September 28th
I missed a day of spaced repetition problems on the Internet Go School, and am now down to 10 vacation days. This happens when I have a bad night of sleep, am too tired to do problems first thing in the morning, and then forget about them for the rest of the day. I was too tired to engage in any go activities on Tuesday, but I could have at least clicked through the problems to avoid losing a vacation day. I should just do that on a day I am too tired to do the problems first thing. It is way to easy to forget to get back to them.
Tuesday, September 29th
I discovered the problem with spaced repetition this morning when I went to do my problems and found two days worth of problems waiting for me and another gap in my progress graph.
I worked on Level 2 problems in Tsumego Dragon:
- 38 problems of Discovered Cut, Endgame (Yose), and Opening Basics
- 48 problems of Net
- 50 problems of Ladder
A cool thing about the net problems is the ability to see the opportunity to break the bamboo. When you do a whole series of net problems the unfinished bamboo shape starts to jump out at you.
I attended the BenKyo Study Group tsumego session today. We had nine people in attendance.
NAOL is now on break between seasons, so there was no NAOL game to play tonight. As a result I was able to schedule a lesson with Ben for 8:00 pm, when I ordinarily would have been playing an NAOL game. It was a 60 minute Semi-Private Lesson. We reviewed the first game I played against Parker at the Princeton Go Club last Wednesday. The second game will be reviewed on Saturday afternoon.
Wednesday, September 30th
I spent some time reviewing a few recent games with AI, listened to the most recent All Things Go podcast, and stayed up until midnight because it is the last day of the September season of BenKyo League. We have a three day transition period during which time we prepare for the new season, and I like to get a head start on some of the administrative tasks associated with the transition.
Thursday, October 1st
I had a meeting with Ben today and we worked on some cool stuff I can't talk about yet.
I can't believe that I missed another day of problems on the Internet Go School. That is two vacation days lost this week. I am down to 9 vacation days. This has to stop.
I watched a couple BenKyo League members play a game in the evening.
Friday, October 2nd
I had a two hour lesson with Clossius. He reviewed five games for me and we finished up the lesson with a few problems in Tsumego Dragon because I ran out of games and had about ten minutes leftover, not enough time for a game even if I had it. We did spend time looking at my 53.5 point loss against Katago, and we reviewed that game in Better Baduk where it was played.
Clossius likes the UI of Better Baduk. I do too. It is very attractive.
Saturday, October 3rd
I lead a tsumego group this morning for the BKL Study Group. I shared my screen and we used Tsumego Dragon.
Oh god no!
I missed another day of problems on The Internet Go School, and I lost another vacation day. Three vacation days lost in one week! This insanity had got to stop! I am not only burning up vacation days I am wasting my money, especially since my reaction to missing a day is to click through the problems rather than to solve them.
The 3rd of the month is the night when Ben announces the beginning of the new season of BenKyo League.
Go Magic's Life and Death Volume Two is out!
I started it tonight.

No comments:
Post a Comment