Friday, September 25, 2026

Tackling Easy Problems in Tsumego Dragon

 

Sunday, September 13th
I mostly just did my Internet Go School problems and took a break from other go study for the day.


Monday, September 14th
The new season of Star Point has begun.  Of course I have devoured the new episode.


Tuesday, September 15th
I watched Patrick stream his NAOL game and stuck around for the review. I had no game of my own to play today because I played two NAOL games last week. Therefore I must wait until next week to see if I can finish Season 23 with a 5:0 record for probably the first time.
 
 
Wednesday, September 16th
I decided to try playing against AI using the Better Baduk web app. My second game against Katago ended up going to end game with me losing by a mere 53.5 which totally amazed me. That has to be a fluke.
 
 
I listened to the latest episode of the podcast All Things Go.
While I was listening to the podcast I decided to do some easy go problems.  I opened up a set of all categories of problems at Level 1 on Tsumego Dragon.  I found it really easy to concentrate on the podcast and solve problems at the same time.  I usually do sets of a specific category of problem, so it was interesting to have all of the categories coming at me, and to think about the goal of the problem before I solved it. One of the things I noticed was that I was actually reading the problems all the way through before solving them, which is not always the case with Level 3 problems. I am at Level 3 with the Tsumego Dragon Assessment system.  There are 569 problems in the set I am working on.  Perhaps I will try to do them all in one day.

Oh crap.  I was chipping away at the Level 1 problems and I inadvertently exited by clicking on the wrong "back" button when I wanted to revisit a problem after clicking ahead to a new one.  It took me out of my problem set with no way to return to my random order of problems. I had finished half of them already. I'm not starting over again today, but I will make it a point to try getting through all of the Level 1 problems at some point soon.

I attended the Princeton Go Club tonight as usual.  I ended up playing Kyle again.  He played two games at once. When we have an odd number of people someone often ends up playing a simul game so everyone can play.  Kyle took black against Parker and and white against me. Here he is considering a move he is about to play in his game with me. Notice that I am using Better Baduk to record my game.
 
 
 

 
 
I lost, as usual. I have only won one game against Kyle, and that was due to a snapback fluke, so I don't put much stock in the win. I'm asking for 26.5 points of reverse komi next time, moving from a two stone handicap equivalent to a three stone handicap equivalent.


Thursday, September 17th
I had my usual lesson with Ben.  We spent the entire 90 minutes on the game I played with Kyle, not last night, but the week before.  I've already schedule an additional 60 minute lesson to cover the game from last night.  That will happen on Saturday.  I've already dropped today's lesson link into the Princeton Go Club Discord channel.  Ben spent time in that lesson giving me some 3-5 joseki to commit to memory. I am going to practice those joseki on an actual board.
 
 
Friday, September 18th
I was upset to notice this morning that I had failed to do my Internet Go School spaced repetition problems yesterday.  I'd had a terrible night of sleep Wednesday night, and didn't do my problems first thing in the morning.  I had a nice streak of doing my problems every day for a while which I ruined on Thursday. I need to do better with following through on my problems even when I don't get a good night of sleep. I will admit that I disposed of the larger number of problems by marking them all hard. After all, tomorrow is another day. (Channelling my Scarlett O'Hara.)

I am feeling unfocused concerning my go studies.  I'm not sure what to focus on next. There is so much to do. I decided to take the time to watch my lesson with Ben from yesterday, and at least do some screen captures of the 3-5 joseki suggestions.

Tonight I lead my usual one hour tsumego group.
 
 
Saturday, September 19th
Today Ben's Group Class was BenKyo's Opening Principles Revisited.
I decided to do all of the Beginner Level problems on Tsumego Dragon this morning. There are 307 of them. I finished them all in one sitting. I am definitely going to do all of the problems through Level 3, and it is nice to have the easiest ones out of the way.

Level 1 consists of 569 problems.  At some point I will try to solve all of those problems without losing track of things like I did the first time I attempted it. I think the best way to manage this is probably to select a few categories at a time to break up the sessions so they are no more than 100 problems per session.  I probably ought to take note of which categories I am doing in each session so I can be sure that I am not duplicating categories in later sessions.

Ben and I had a one hour lesson in the afternoon to review the game that Kyle and I played on Wednesday at the Princeton Go Club. That lesson is also being posted on the Princeton Go Club Discord.
 
I completed 375 of the Level One problems tonight.
  • I started with Connecting and Disconnect which yielded 70 problems at Level 1
  • I moved on to Capture which yielded 170 problems at Level 1
  • I then did Three Point Eye, Four Point Eye, and Five Point Eye yielding 42 problems at Level 1. (there were no problems at Level 1 for Six Point Eye, and Nine Space Eye)
  • I then did Making Eyes, Taking Eyes, False Eye, and Corner Life and Death for an additional 51 problems at level 1
  • I ended my problems for the evening with Net and Ladder for an additional 42 problems at Level 1

That is enough for one day. I'll work on doing the rest next week.

No comments: