I spend so much time on go related activities on the computer. I'll be sitting down, or even reclining in bed for hours. This can't be good for me. I've been eyeing this desk for quite a while and finally decided to get one. I don't intend to use it all the time, but even a couple hours a day of standing has to be better for my health than sitting, or reclining, for six to eight hours a day.
The desk I bought is made by a company called Work From Home Desks. The pieces just slip together and are held in place by other smaller pieces. I should probably get a stool to go with it so I can easily transition from standing to sitting.
I have it set up in my living room next to our TV which is on a base that allows me to swivel it so I can see the screen while standing at the desk. I can imagine watching my lessons on the big screen and replaying the variations on an actual board on the desk.
I used the desk to play my most recent Go Magic game on an actual board while playing on my laptop. I play rather quickly, and this slowed me down a little bit, which is a good thing. There is a very nice laptop support that I bought separately from the same company that I use mostly on the kitchen counter when I am cooking. You can see it in the above image.
After an hour we had gotten this far in the game. It was my first time playing on a real board standing up. I had not built up the stamina for it yet, so I took the laptop and sat down for the remainder of the game, which did not go well, but it was already not going well. I don't blame it on standing though. I just played poorly.
Here is the final board position after about another 30 minutes of play. White managed to get a huge bottom.
We had an observer who kindly left a good number of comments after the game was completed. You can find them here. This observer is a former member of BenKyo League who is thinking of returning.
Followup On Internet Go School Study Habits Progress:
Wow! Marking some of the problems as easy has really brought down the number of due problems. Today there were only 24 due problems.
I can start watching more lessons and adding more problems now.
Keeping the number of due problems at a reasonable level is a delicate balancing act between marking problem I am able to solve on the first try as good or easy, and marking missed problems as either hard or forgot. Sometimes I mark missed problems as hard a few times before marking them as forgot.
I got to go club again this week, and about 50% of my games are now being played over the board at club.
No comments:
Post a Comment