Monday, November 20, 2023

My Week of Go Activities: Attended Princeton Go Club "Alpha Go" Screening and Teaching Event

 


On Sunday, November 11th I attended the Princeton Go Club for the first time in over five years. The club has been meeting post pandemic with a rather fluid schedule based on when members want to get together.  They have a Discord server. The purpose of the server is primarily to arrange meetings. I've been on the server for awhile, and I have wanted to attend a meeting for quite some time now. I found a member willing to give me a ride to a meeting and decided that I should get there this week.

Sunday Princeton Go Club had a special event at the Princeton Public Library which included a viewing of the film "Alpha Go" after the screening there was a brief presentation on the rules of the game, followed by opportunities for the public to play with club members.

The photo at the top was take from the back of the room during the presentation about the rules.

More photos to follow:


Tables were ready for people to play.

I noticed from the initial setup of the boards that they had some rather small sized 19x19 boards available for use. I was glad that I brought a number of wooden 9x9 board with me and some boxes of Ing stones to use with them. I went about putting those small board on the tables incase people wanted to start with 9x9.




The small boards got a lot of use with the 19x19 boards mostly getting pushed to the side,  at least for the beginners.









Since I am not a member of the club, and most of the club members have never even met me, I largely stood back and observed after making my boards available. I probably interjected more comments than were appreciated during teaching, however. Sometimes I just can't help myself.

It was a nice event, and I actually have a correspondence game going on OGS already with one of the attendees.

I am hoping to attend some regular club meetings in the near future.

Now for my usual weekly Go Activities Content:


I put in a little over 17 hours on Go Activities last week. That is a bit on the low level for me. Live Play came in as the top activity.

There was a lot of BenKyo Blue on my Go Beach Ball this week from four different activities.



I played seven games this week. Four of those games were league games. The remaining games were played on the Fox Go Server.


I was playing on Fox with my newly earned rank of 11k on my sandbagging account which is five ranks lower than my legit account.

The three Fox games were Shadow Go Games played with the help of an OGS 3k friend. It is nice to have some instant feedback on my ideas in a game.

I'm feeling a little better about my go today. I'm not as much in crisis as I was last week, but I am still vehemently denying that I want to get stronger. That is the way I am protecting myself.

Go Magic Games are already in progress and NAOL games are starting soon. The current AYD season will be ending soon and there will be a month off before the next season.

No comments: